(B&P Code Section 6400(c)(1) & 6402)
A Legal Document Assistant is any person who provides, or assists in providing, or offers to provide, or offers to assist in providing, for compensation, any self-help service to a member of the public who is representing themselves in a legal matter, or who holds themselves out as someone who offers that service or has that authority. This shall not apply to any individual whose assistance consists merely of secretarial or receptionist services.
Legal document assistant shall file a certificate of registration with the county clerk of the county in which he or she resides or has his or her principal place of business.
To register as a Legal Document Assistant in San Mateo County, please complete and provide the following:
- A completed registration form (see below)
- A legal document assistant bond. The bond must show date of issuance and date of expiration. The recorded bond will be returned by mail within 5 to 6 weeks.
- Legal Document Assistant registration fee
- Valid California Driver License
To be eligible to apply, the applicant must possess at least one of the following (B&P Code Section 6402.1):
- A high school diploma or general equivalency diploma, and either a minimum of two years of law-related experience under the supervision of a licensed attorney, or a minimum of two years experience, prior to January 1, 1999, providing self-help service.
- A baccalaureate degree in any field and either a minimum of one year of law-related experience under the supervision of a licensed attorney, or a minimum of one year of experience, prior to January 1, 1999, providing self-help service.
- A certificate of completion from a paralegal program that is institutionally accredited but not approved by the American Bar Association, that requires successful completion of a minimum of 24 semester units, or a equivalent, in legal specialization courses.
- A certificate of completion from a paralegal program approved by the American Bar Association.
(B&P Code Section 6402.2, 6406 & 6407)
To be eligible to renew registration, the registrant shall complete 15 hours of continuing legal education courses during the two-year period preceding renewal.
A certificate of registration is effective for a period of two years or until the date of the bond expires, whichever occurs first. The renewal can take place up to 60 days prior to the expiration date and the effective date of the renewal will be the date of the current registration expires. Upon renewal of registration, the same number shall be assigned, provided the applicant is renewing registration in the same county in which he or she was previously registered and there is no lapse of 3 or more years in the period of registration.
Individual Registration as a Legal Document Assistant
Corporation/Partnership Registration as a Legal Document Assistant