When a document is presented to our office for recording, it is only examined for “recording requirements” and not for its correctness or legal sufficiency. Although we would like to give you as much information as possible, under California law, we are prohibited from providing any legal advice. (BPC 6125) This includes advising what document to record, providing any legal forms and assisting with the preparation of any legal documents. It is recommended that you seek assistance from an attorney or authorized individual.
Each document presented for recording must conform to the following basic document requirements. Most documents have specific requirements that are not listed here.
- Property must be located in the county where the document is presented for recording. (CC 1169)
- Be authorized or required by law to be recorded. (GC 27201)
- Meet statutory requirements for that document.
- Be submitted with the proper fees and taxes. (GC 6301, 27201, 27361)
- Be photographically reproducible by microphotographic process. (GC27201, 27361.6, 27361.7)