In accordance with Government Code Section 6107, the requestor must be authorized to obtain a certified copy of a military discharge form DD-214.
(a) A public entity, including the state, a county, city, or other political subdivision, or any officer or employee thereof, including notaries public, shall not demand or receive any fee or compensation for doing any of the following:
(1) Recording, indexing, or issuing certified copies of any discharge, certificate of service, certificate of satisfactory service, notice of separation, or report of separation of any member of the Armed Forces of the United States.
(2) Furnishing a certified copy of, or searching for, any public record that is to be used in an application or claim for a pension, allotment, allowance, compensation, insurance (including automatic insurance), or any other benefits under any act of Congress for service in the Armed Forces of the United States or under any law of this state relating to veterans’ benefits.
(3) Furnishing a certified copy of, or searching for, any public record that is required by the Veterans Administration to be used in determining the eligibility of any person to participate in benefits made available by the Veterans Administration.
(4) Rendering any other service in connection with an application or claim referred to in paragraph (2) or (3).
(b) A certified copy of any record referred to in subdivision (a) may be made available only to one of the following:
(1) The person who is the subject of the record upon presentation of proper photoidentification.
(2) A family member or legal representative of the person who is the subject of the record upon presentation of proper photo identification and certification of their relationship to the subject of the record.
(3) A state, county, or city office that provides veterans’ benefits services upon written request of that office.
(4) A United States official upon written request of that official. A public officer or employee is liable on his or her official bond for failure or refusal to render the services.
Please complete the Application for Certified Copy of Military Discharged Record.
You may submit this in person with a valid government issued identification to receive the copy at:
San Mateo County Clerk’s Division
555 County Center, 1st Floor
Redwood City, CA 94063
Otherwise, this form needs to be acknowledged by a Notary Public when submitting to the Clerk’s Division by mail.